MOLESEY HEAD RACES: SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
Information – availability (see also www.moleseyheadraces.org.uk)
– The draw, competitor information notices, safety instructions, risk assessment, etc, are all easily located on the above website. This includes a map of the course with possible landing points for casualties, positioning of safety boats, paramedics, first aid equipment, etc, all clearly marked.
– Copies of the Safety Precautions (also the Emergency Procedures) information sheets and course maps) will be available at the Event.
On the Day
– Junior Crews (in the morning events) are to be instructed by their coaches. Additionally, all participants should study the Safety Notices posted conspicuously at both the Molesey and the Millennium Boathouses.
– For the Veterans Head (afternoon) all marshals, launch drivers, etc, and a responsible member of each crew must attend the Safety Briefing at MBC at 1.15 pm.
– Crews must be aware of potential 2-way traffic behind Platts Eyot (“Thorneycroft”), which is narrow in parts.
– Hampton and Aquarius Sailing Clubs will have been asked to keep the river free.
– And the Environment Agency is to be informed of the Head Races well in advance, and their agreement obtained to close the Reach to navigation during racing periods. Despite this, there may still be some other river traffic. Beware.
– Crews going afloat or landing must minimise the time taken on the hard.
– This includes quickly clearing the area of all oars, water bottles, kit, etc.
– Please listen out for, and promptly obey marshals’ instructions.
Rowing up to the Start
- Use the Middlesex side of Platts Eyot. For any crew, the only place to do practice starts is by turning back down the Surrey side of Platts Eyot and then continuing right round it. Absolute compliance is required.
Marshalling before the race
– Marshalling. At least 10 minutes before the start time, participating crews must be on their stations on the Middlesex bank above Aquarius Sailing Club. Numbers are positioned on the opposite bank for guidance (#s 1,10,20,30,40,50,60). Get in order.
– The marshals will guide you. Obey their instructions. Do not be late !
After the Race
-If you are returning to the Millenium Boathouse, continue past the finish and turn when the marshals tell you. Return up the Middlesex side of Platts Eyot.
– If you are returning to MBC, go down the lock cut on the Surrey side (Absolutely NOT the Middlesex side of the river). Obey marshals’ instructions, go slow down the lock cut, turn in order below the Club and come in upstream. PRJS: MHR safety plan, Jan 2024